Letter from the Superintendent to all our families, March 17, 2020
Dear Horizon Families
We are committed to keeping you informed during these class cancellations. We understand that these circumstances are difficult for many students and families. We are actively working in collaboration with provincial partners to determine next steps in providing student learning.
Please consider the following:
- Contact the school to make arrangements to pick up emergency medical supplies or equipment. For all other items or personal belongings, please do not contact the school. Our staff are working on creating a staggered schedule in compliance with social distancing guidelines so that you are able to pick up personal items and will be providing these instructions in the coming days.
- Horizon School Division, in collaboration with Alberta Education and other school jurisdictions across the province, are currently working to create learning plans for the foreseeable future. We anticipate that we will be able to share more information regarding these learning plans with our families during the week of March 23, 2020.
- Students and families are encouraged to review and engage in any recent learning activities that students were working on prior to classes being cancelled.
- Schools are closed for students and parents. Public access is restricted. Please do not arrive at the school without an appointment.
- Utilize the online assessment tool (alberta.ca/covid) or Contact 8-1-1 (Health Link) or your health care provider for questions about your personal health situation.
- Pandemics, like COVID-19, challenge the way people cope. During a pandemic it’s not uncommon to experience strong emotions and anxiety. If you feel that you or your child are having a difficult time coping during this stressful period please phone the mental health help line 1-877-303-2642, the kids help line 1-800-668-6868 or your school to access our counsellors.
We will continue to partner with you in your child’s education. By working together we can ensure student success. We are committed to keeping you informed as communication is key during rapidly changing times.
Wilco Tymensen, Superintendent of Schools
Horizon School Division